Make a meaningful impact as a Porter with The Modern!
Founded by CEO Danny Meyer with the opening of Union Square Cafe in 1985, Union Square Hospitality Group has created some of New York s most beloved restaurants, cafes, and bars such as Gramercy Tavern, Maialino, The Modern, Marta and Porchlight to name a few!
We are a Values-Driven Company that is committed to creating great work experiences for our people with lots of growth opportunities for advancement.
As an important member of our team, you ll receive:
- Full Health, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Paid Time Off to support you in having an active life outside of work
- Paid Parental Leave (yes! even as an hourly employee!)
- Money to spend in our restaurants and a 20% discount (and we ve won 28 James Beard awards)
- Discountstowardgym memberships, spas, transit passes and hotels just to name a few
- Matched 401(k) to help you invest in your future- and you can take it with you when you leave
- Access to more than 50 Learning and Development programs to support your growth & development
- Access to Mentor Programs and Career Development advice to help you navigate your career options with us
What You Bring to the Table
- Commitment to embodying ourFamily Valuesof :
- Integrity- Doing the right things always- using soundjudgement- even when no one is looking
- Excellence-Doing what needs to be done, as well as it can possibly be done
- Hospitality- Doing all that can be done for others- and more than in expected- in thoughtful ways that let people know you are on their side
- Entrepreneurial Spirit-Seeing opportunities others haven t-and creating opportunities others wish they d thought of first
- A sense of urgency and strong work ethic to address any facility or stewarding needs that may arise
- A general understanding of Department of Health (DOH) food safety standards and the ability to conform to DOH requirements to run an A-level kitchen
- A familiarity withbackof house operations in concessions, commissary production, and/or restaurant service environments.
- Strong communication and listening skills to develop trusting relationships with peers and guests
- The ability to communicate effectively in English
- The ability to stay positive and calm under pressure
- Open availability
Ideally, You Also Have:
- 1 yearexperience in a porter, stewarding, or maintenance position in a food service environment.
- Culinary and/or Beverage Degree/Certification(s)
*Physical Requirements: Must be able to stand for up to 12 hours and be able to lift 25 lbs. and move or lift up to 50 lbs occasionally
More detail about The Modern part of Union Square Hospitality Group, please visit
Associated topics: culinary, deli chef, executive kitchen, pantry, pizza chef, restaurant assistant chef, service, sous, sous chef, sushi chef