**ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:**
* Develop and lead a child centered, richly diverse after-school classroom for a mixed grade elementary class.
* Plan and implement an after-school curriculum which is well rounded, developmentally responsive, learning oriented and hands-on. This curriculum should reflect the school day experiences of the children and incorporate at least three 6 week Project-Based Learning units over the course of a school year focusing on themes such as physical recreation, performing arts, visual arts, science, ecology, etc.
* Supervise at least one part-time assistant. Additional supervisory responsibility could include supervision of support teachers, inclusion staff, high school interns and volunteers.
* Participate in at least 5 hours of in-class work in the King Open School's school-day classrooms per week. Responsibilities include one-on-one support of children, assisting King Open faculty in curriculum delivery, differentiated instruction, small group facilitation and participatory observation.
* When appropriate, participate in school day support meetings such as IEP meetings or family conferences.
* Create opportunities for collaborations/partnerships with other Department of Human Service Programs' youth serving divisions in order to better serve Cambridge children and families.
* Write 2 Child Progress Reports per school year for every child in the King Open Extended Day classroom as well as regular weekly scheduling and lesson planning. Additionally, maintain ongoing documentation of child progress, daily activities, outreach, and staff meetings.
* Engage families in consistent partnership in the education of children.
* Manage a classroom budget including ordering of supplies and snacks, planning and leading field trips and engaging outside consultants and vendors.
* Participate in related professional development from \"outside\" service providers.
* Participate in ongoing \"in-house\" staff development provided by King Open Extended Day and DHSP for professional development and to enhance program practices and overall quality.
* Maintain professional integrity and conduct by following and promoting program policies, procedures and routines, collaborating and maintaining links to King Open Extended Day staff, school-day staff, outside service providers, supervisor(s) and families.
* May perform other duties as required.
* Bachelor's Degree in child/youth development, education, social work or related human service field strongly preferred.
* 3 years relevant experience working with school aged children, Kindergarten through 5th grade. Preferably including work with after-school programming, preschool, urban youth, public schools, and/or mental health services.
* Commitment to the social and developmental benefits of after-school work for children. Dedication to the importance and benefit of the connection of after-school and school day experiences for children.
* Experience supervising staff strongly preferred.
* Strong verbal communication skills and writing skills and facility with written communication.
* Proficiency with the Microsoft office suite, or similar system, and computer/internet based lesson planning preferred.
* Sense of humor and ability to act as a strong positive role model.
* Excellent organizational skills, attentiveness to detail and ability to follow through on multiple projects.
* Experience working with families of diverse cultural, ethnic, linguistic and socio-economic backgrounds, providing outreach and facilitating communication and strong relationships.
* Commitment to and experience with collaborative, team-oriented environment.
* Commitment to anti-bias, culturally proficient practices.
* Interpersonal skills that excel in cultural sensitivity, respect for differences, and communication
* Bilingual/bicultural background a plus.
* Commitment to enhancing reflective practice and ability to accept and provide supervision and guidance.
* Commitment to the continuous improvement of service quality and the program's mission.
* Knowledge of Nurtured Heart Approach techniques and/or Responsive Classroom techniques a plus.
The noise level in work environment is moderately to very loud. The work environment includes classroom and outdoor playgrounds and occasional field trips.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk, walk, and hear. The employee is occasionally required to run, during play or responding to an emergency. Employees are frequently required to engage with children on the floor and at their eye level. Employees are frequently required to use their hands and arms to handle and manipulate objects as well as reach. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move a child. Vision abilities are required for supervision of children. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Internal applicants submit a job bidding form and **2 copies** of both your resume and letter of interest; external applicants submit both your resume and letter of interest via email to: ...@cambridgema.gov or to the Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-###-####. Applicants may also apply directly through schoolspring.com by applying for Job ID # 3128114 or may go to
**Review of resumes is ongoing.** **Position will remain open until filled.**
The City of Cambridge is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
**CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.**
*Department:* Human Service Programs
*Job Title:* Extended Day Teacher/KOED
*Job Code:* M867-707
*Civil Service Position:* Non Civil Service position
*Union Affiliation:* None
*Hours Per Week:* 35 hours per week, 10 months per year
*POSTING DATE:* September 5, 2019
*RATE:* $20.96-$24.61 per hour + excellent benefits
Associated topics: b.d., geography, greek, historical, human geography, m.div, music, theatre, theology, womens studies
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...