Afterschool Teacher (2 positions)
Compensation: $137,580.00 - $137,580.00 /year *
Employment Type: Full-Time
Industry: Education - Excluding Post Secondary
**ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:**
Under the supervision of the Head Teacher & in conjunction with the Afterschool Manager, the Teacher will:
* Share responsibility for designing a developmentally sound curriculum to enhance the social, physical, academic, and intellectual well-being of children in his/her care. Curriculum should emphasize the development of social skills, increase children's self-esteem, recognize children's interests, and build a sense of community within the group.
* Plan and implement age appropriate large and small group activities to achieve curriculum goals in an informal, secure, and loving atmosphere appropriate to after school hours.
* Help maintain regular communication with parents through daily contacts and conversation. Solicit parent input on their child in order to individualize behavioral and instructional approaches. With the Head Teacher, host three parent nights per school year.
* Support the Head Teacher in creating links with the public school classroom teachers and administrators regarding children's academic, social, educational, and physical needs. Perform regular school day classroom observations.
* With Head Teacher, create opportunities for collaborations/partnerships with other Department of Human Service Programs' youth serving divisions in order to better serve Cambridge children and families.
* Participate in program-related meetings: parent meetings, meeting with Afterschool Manager, meetings with program consultants.
* Participate in meetings called by Division Head or Afterschool Manager such as: curriculum meetings, training workshops, policy review, or DHSP required orientation sessions.
* Participate in other available workshops and training programs as schedule permits
* Meet children at bus stop, kindergarten classrooms and/or other locations for safety. Escort them to program locations.
* During the absence of the Head Teacher, perform the necessary tasks to have a successful Afterschool day, which includes the supervision of Assistant Teacher and any other support staff and upholding EEC regulations and DHSP policies and procedures.
* Participate in ongoing program quality improvement efforts, including classroom observations, debriefs of observations, action planning, and participation in a peer learning community.
* Assist the Head Teacher with the completion of child progress reports and monthly parent newsletters.
* Maintain a neat classroom environment, including daily cleaning of classroom (sweeping, vacuuming, mopping of spills, etc. and periodic major clean-up). Help to build in children's regular participation in the clean-up and maintenance of the classroom into the program structure.
* Share responsibility for planning and preparation of nutritious afternoon snack.
Be 21 years of age. Associates Degree required, Bachelor's degree preferred, and 3 months of half time experience with school-age children or related experience. Be First Aid trained within 3 months of hire. Additional training and experience preferable.
**PHYSICAL DEMANDS:** While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk, walk, and hear. The employee is occasionally required to run, during play or responding to an emergency. Employees are frequently required to engage with children on the floor and at their eye level. Employees are frequently required to use their hands and arms to handle and manipulate objects as well as reach. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move a child. Vision abilities are required for supervision of children. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
**WORK ENVIRONMENT**: The noise level in work environment is moderately to very loud. The work environment includes classroom and outdoor playgrounds and occasional field trips.
Internal applicants, submit job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest; external applicants, submit both your resume and letter of interest via email to: ...@cambridgema.gov or to Renee Johnson, DHSP, 51 Inman St, Cambridge, MA. Fax: (617) ###-#### Phone 617-###-####. Applicants may also apply at schoolspring.com by applying for Job ID #3164629 or go to
The City of Cambridge is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQ+ community, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
**CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.**
*Department:* Human Service Programs
*Job Title:* Afterschool Teacher (2 positions)
*Job Code:* D446-708 & D446-712
*Civil Service Position:* Non Civil Service position
*Union Affiliation:* None
*Hours Per Week:* 30 hours per week - 10 months/year
*POSTING DATE:* August 27, 2019
*RATE:* $19.72-$22.84 per hour + excellent benefits
Associated topics: education, faculty, gs 1720, lecturer, paraeducator, school, school superintendent, student, teacher, tutor
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...